Wednesday, July 30, 2003

I'm still in schock...

Last night I got a phonecall from an old high school friend who had just married another HS friend last November. She was due to give birth in mid-June, and when we went to DC a couple of weeks ago I had called and left a message because we wanted to visit and meet the new baby. Mind you we hadn't heard anything about the baby's birth so I was a bit worried and even when I left the voice mail I tried to make it as generic as possible. I thought perhaps there was something wrong with the baby.

No.

There was something wrong with their marriage. So wrong that she left their apt. 4 days after returning from a caesarean delivery. So wrong she had to call the police on him because he wouldn't stop the verbal abuse.

I know he was a bit of a con-artist in high school, but a harmless one and a good guy overall. Apparently he didn't outgrow the con artist part, he told her he was about to get a new job. That was in November, he still hasn't got it. And apparently he wasn't pulling his share in the marriage. Not fair to expect her to support both him and the baby.

I'm so sad. This should be a happy time, with a happy healthy baby. And she's in the middle of this mess. At least her mom's with her, helping out so she's not completely alone in this, and her mom a great person.

We'll keep them in our prayers, that's all we can do.

No comments: